Posted on October 27 2017
Can you benefit from a colon cleanse? First, the function of the colon is home to billions of bacteria that help the body work. It is where the food waste accumulates and where the nutrient absorption from breakdown of food intake happens.
Your colon is the largest part of the intestine; it connects to the small intestine and to the anus. It’s most important job is moving the stool or waste out of the body.
The colon helps maintain pH balance, controls hunger and counters the dangerous bacteria. This is why you want a well -functioning colon to keep your health in balance.
It is not well known but colon cleansing or “lavage” has been practiced since Egyptian times in 1500 BC. They realized even then the purpose of keeping the colon clean!
A cleanses purpose is to clean out the hardened old stool, your “poop” that has become impacted along the wall of the colon. This impacted stool interferes with normal bowel function and stores bacterial waste and toxic materials, like chemicals, pesticides, metals, and drugs.
Symptoms of waste buildup and need to do a colon sweeping cleanse:
- Stomach discomfort
- Bloating or abdominal discomfort
- Gas or belching
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Chronic constipation, statistically, is the largest gastro-intestinal problem affecting people worldwide. Just in the U.S. alone it affects 42 million people.
Most people may not realize this, but you should have a minimum of one bowel movement a day. Or actually, the saying is ‘you should go up to three times a day if you eat three times a day’.
Impacted bowels can cause chronic fatigue, low energy, headaches and “brain fog”. Yes, your backed up colon can cause brain changes…..from your moods, irritability to depression!
The average person has between 7-10 pounds of old fecal matter in the colon, even when having normal bowel movements daily.
Now, this picture may not be pretty, but you realize, maybe it’s time for you to start a cleanse.
There are many different ways to perform a cleanse; colonic, enemas, juice fasts to colonic irrigation or hydrotherapy. Some of these require a professional therapist or using a supplement or solution at home.
Here, for our purposes, we will discuss the supplement in more detail.
Colon Sweep Supplement:
- Oat seed is high in minerals and vitamins. It helps feed the nervous system in times of stress and exhaustion.
- Alfalfa is rich in chlorophyll, which heals tissues and is well known as an anti-fatigue remedy.
- Psyllium is a form of fiber used as a laxative. It creates bulk by soaking up water to make bowel movements easier.
- Rhubarb Root is high in flavonoids and minerals. It is great for metabolism and may help you lose weight by increasing fat burning.
- Gentian Root is used as a bitter, it assists with sluggish digestive problems.
- Aloe Vera has laxative and anti -inflammatory properties. It normalizes pH balance and lessens yeast infections.
- Cascara Sagrada is a common herb used as a laxative because it stimulates the bowels by causing muscle contractions.
- Golden seal contains a compound berberine which kills off harmful bacteria, parasites and yeast.
- Buckthorn is a beneficial oil from the plant, Sea Buckthorn. It acts as a liver cleanser. It reduces many skin issues and decreases adrenal fatigue.
- Calcium is necessary for synthesis of B12; it helps bone strength, immune and cardiovascular health.
This product can result in a mild diuretic and laxative type of effect.
Sometimes a supplement alone may not work enough to detox the colon well. If you have had problems for long periods of time and do not have regular bowel movements daily; then we recommend trying an enema or colonic therapy along with a supplement.
Please check out certified colonic therapists in your area. Talk to them for help; make a decision which type of additional therapy will work for you if needed.
Cindy Burrows, B.S., M.T., Herbalist, is a Natural Health Consultant helping individuals start health programs to improve their life, wellness and happiness. Cindy is a speaker, writer and entrepreneur of several businesses.