Olive oil from Olea europaea fruit, fresh pressed premium olives, is high quality, unrefined, organic, extra virgin olive oil.
These olives are grown without agricultural chemicals, pesticides or hazardous impurities. The oil is greenish yellow and the color is a sign of its freshness and premium quality.
Olive trees have been around for thousands of years, dating back to ancient civilizations; olives have been cultivated mainly in Italy, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Mexico and the US.
The juice of the olives, olive oil, and olives are a staple part of the diet for world’s healthiest longest living people. These people live in the “Blue Zones”, and they eat the very popular Mediterranean diet.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO), is well researched for its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, essential fatty acids and many heart healthy nutrients. It is also helpful for depression, dementia and obesity.
There are many types of olive oil on the market; unfortunately, many companies mix olive oil with canola oil. You need to be careful, buy only from reputable companies you trust.
Health Benefits of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Extra Virgin Olive Oil contains vitamins K and E, has 14 grams of Essential Fatty Acids (EFA), the mono-saturated healthy fat, oleic acid., which is now called Omega 9.
EVOO is the only olive oil with the most nutrients for health. It has many uses which are beneficial to our health; in cooking, cosmetics, skin and hair care.
- Olive Oil is beneficial for heart health because of the anti-inflammatory polyphenol compounds. It lowers LDL ratio of cholesterol, the ALA compound (alpha linolenic acid) decreases risk of cardiac death by 30%.
- It can lower blood pressure and risk of strokes. One French study compares olive oil use to stroke incidences and found those who consumed the highest amount had a 41% lower risk of stroke.
- EVOO’s healthy fats help control excess insulin, the hormone that makes us gain weight. EFA’s help you with satiety, reduces cravings and prevents overeating.
- These EFA’s help neurotransmitters in the brain function better. The brain is made up of mostly fatty acids and we need moderate amounts daily to perform normal brain functions and for cognitive decline.
- Olive oil can help with emotions, moods and depression by adjusting the hormones, serotonin and dopamine, which can regulate your sleep cycles and your moods.
- EVOO is good for moisturizing and hydrating your skin. Restores skin smoothness and helps fight ultraviolet light radiation.
The oil from olives is great with food, for low heat cooking and for cold foods like salads and dips, giving the body many health benefits.
You can massage it into your skin, nails and cuticles.
It has even been used for shaving by both men and women in place of shaving cream.
Keep your bottle of olive oil away from heat and light, best if in an amber or brown glass bottle, then it will last much longer; up to 2 years from date bottled.
Cindy Burrows, B.S., M.T., Herbalist and is a Nutrition and Wellness Consultant helping individuals with health programs to improve life and happiness. She is a writer, speaker and owner of several businesses.