Clary sage has a fascinating history since Medieval times; it was called “clear eye”, because it was so beneficial for the eyes.
The word ‘clary’ comes from the Latin word ‘clarus’ meaning clear. In the Middle Ages it was known as the “eyes of Christ”.
The flower and leaves from the clary sage plant is where the steam distilled Essential oil (EO) comes from. It has a musky aroma.
In Ancient Chinese medicine, Sage is used to strengthen the kidney and the adrenal glands. It is also used to help balance the female hormones due to its phytoestrogen compounds.
As an Aphrodisiac it is well known for its sexual response by boosting libido and helping with impotence.
Uses of Clary Sage Essential Oil
- Clary sage EO is known to help alleviate PMS issues like cramps, hot flashes and heavy menstrual cycles. You can mix with carrier oil and rub onto abdomen.
- Inhaling clary may promote feelings of relaxation and helps with insomnia and anxiety. Use with a diffuser in the bedroom or wherever you like to relax.
- Boosts eye, hair and skin health by reducing skin inflammation and rashes. Combine two drops of EO with a carrier like jojoba and apply to affected skin.
- Supports healthy circulation by opening up the blood vessels and lowering blood pressure. Rub a mix of oil with a carrier like almond or emu on chest or limbs.
- As with many Essential oils clary sage has anti-microbial properties; so is effective for skin infections.
Mentally and emotionally, Clary sage EO helps with depression, self-esteem, hope and confidence.
Clary sage is not safe for use during pregnancy. It can cause uterine contractions. Never use essential oils in the eyes.
Cindy Burrows, B.S., M.T., Herbalist, is a Natural Health Consultant helping individuals start health programs to improve their life, wellness and happiness. Cindy is a speaker, writer and entrepreneur of several businesses.