In ancient times, Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), used clary sage essential oil (EO) to strengthen the adrenals, the female reproductive organs, and the kidneys.
The flower from the clary sage plant is steam distilled to produce the oil. It has a musky but feminine aroma.
Hormone Benefits of Clary Sage
Clary sage is considered one of the top EO’s for balancing women’s hormones.
- It is highly beneficial when dealing with Pre-menstrual syndrome (PMS), those dreaded monthly cramps, heavy menstrual cycles, muscle pain, or even hot flashes.
- Clary sage contains natural phytoestrogens from the plant itself. So, this oil can help regulate estrogen levels and support long term health of the uterus. This can reduce the risk of cancer of the uterus and ovaries
- It is anti-spasmodic, meaning it can help calm the spasms of muscle cramps during PMS. It is also beneficial for the pain of endometriosis.
- Clary sage is great for the circulation, opening up blood vessels, and getting the blood flowing helps with the pain of blood stagnation.
- It can act as a natural sedative relieving anxiety and insomnia which is beneficial during any stressful times, including your monthly cycles.
Studies have provided evidence that inhaling clary sage is effective in reducing maternal anxiety, fear, and pain during labor.
Two major causes of insomnia are hormonal changes and stress.
It is also known to aid digestion and help eye health.
Suggested Uses of Clary Sage
To help in balancing hormones or for cramps, massage 3 drops of Clary sage with 3 drops of carrier oil, either jojoba or coconut oil, regularly to your abdomen.
Or rub 2 drops of the same blended carrier oils, to the back of your neck, or you can use a diffuser if you prefer.
If you need to calm your anxiety or to promote restfulness, rub 1 to 2 drops with a carrier oil (1:1 ratio), on your neck or soles of your feet. Another option again is to diffuse the oil at your bedside.
Side Effects of Clary Sage
It is not recommended to use during pregnancy especially in 1st trimester since it can cause uterine contractions.
It could interact with sedative medications.
Do not use clary sage during alcohol consumption, it has been known to accelerate the intoxicating effects of alcohol.
Click Here To Buy Organic Clary Sage
Cindy Burrows, B.S., M.T., Herbalist and is a Nutrition and Wellness Consultant helping individuals with health programs to improve life and happiness. She is a writer, speaker and owner of several businesses.