Avocado is a fruit oil versus the seed or grain oils; and unlike other fruits it is very rich in heart healthy monosaturated fats. It is rated as one of the top 5 healthiest oils in the world.
Persea americana, or the avocado tree, grows in the Western Hemisphere spanning from Mexico to the South American Andean mountain regions.
The oil is pressed from the fleshy fruit pulp that surrounds the pit. It is best if you use organic, no additives and no preservatives.
Avocado oil can be used both externally and internally, on your skin, joints and for cooking or on salads; it is very versatile.
Avocado oil contains Vitamins A, C, E, D, and K along with some B5, and B6. It also has folate, magnesium, potassium and is high in the polyphenol, carotenoids.
- Hydrates and improves skin, fights aging wrinkles, and other skin and inflammation issues. It soothes psoriasis, the estimate is that over 8 million in USA alone, struggle with psoriasis, the rough, dry, reddish patches of skin that can be controlled with avocado oil.
A research study in Dermatology, 2001, reported avocado oil along with B12, has great potential for topical therapy of Psoriasis.
- Avocado oil is easily digested and soothing to the digestive tract. This oil is recommended for people on special diets for digestive problems like the Fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides and polyols (FODMAP) diet, and the Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) diet, plus it helps with Autoimmune protocols with no side effects.
- Oleic acid is a heart healthy fat, mono-saturated Omega 3 and 9 fats. It reduces cholesterol by increasing the HDL, your good ratio of cholesterol; but at the same time decreases your LDL or bad cholesterol ratio.
- Reduces symptoms of arthritis, both pain and stiffness of joints. In France it is used as a prescription drug called ASU, extracts of avocado and soybean oil, very effective for pain and inflammation of joints.
- Avocado oil improves hair texture. It protects hair from sun and chlorine damage. It aids hair growth and prevents hair loss. You can use it to detangle and tame dry hair. Or even help improve dandruff.
Suggested Uses for Avocado Oil
- Helps dry skin, use as moisturizer, to soften skin and it penetrates better than many other oils; it can be used to remove eye makeup.
- Avocado oil is an effective sunscreen; due to its mono-saturated fats it is a rich sun protective factor.
- Avocado is helpful for hair growth, moisturizes, repairs and strengthens hair follicles. Mix avocado oil with lavender or peppermint essential oil, both good for promoting hair growth.
- Good for Oral health and gums, with potential in reversing periodontal disease
- Avocado oil has a high smoke point of 400 degrees Fahrenheit, so it can be used with cooking at higher heat without breaking down.
Cindy Burrows, B.S., M.T., Herbalist and is a Nutrition and Wellness Consultant helping individuals with health programs to improve life and happiness. She is a writer, speaker and owner of several businesses.