Sclerocarya birrea, the Marula tree, has impressive benefits for the skin; revitalizing, moisturizing, anti-aging and reducing blemishes.
The Marula tree is native to Africa it is very hardy and fast-growing; the oil comes from the nut in the fruit of this tree. In ancient times it was believed to help fertility and brought on happy marriages.
It was even thought that it intoxicated elephants who desired its delicious taste!
If you suffer from chronic inflammation, then Marula oil is your best defense against wrinkles, redness, acne, dry skin, sunburn and age spots; it is very soothing on the skin.
Facts about Marula Oil
Marula oil is used in cosmetics due to its rich supply of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, flavonoids, tocopherols, sterols, and other anti-oxidants.
In fact, the Cosmetic Companies, have invested over $20 million in manufacturing and research of Marula oil in the past decade. I believe this tells us how super beneficial this oil really is for your skin!
It also includes amino acids, L-arginine and Glutamic acid that are good for hydrating along with Vitamin C and E compounds.
In Africa, many parts of the Marula tree are used for food and medicine.
Recommended Benefits of Marula Oil
- It nourishes your hair and helps brittle and frizzy hair, use as an addition to your shampoo for hair benefits.
- Supports the immune system, the heart and balances hormone levels.
- Speeds healing by using on sore irritated skin.
- Helps nail beds by lessening dry cracked skin around the cuticles and helps prevent hangnails. Rub into nails and cuticles before bedtime to keep nails more supple and decrease dryness.
- Great for all skin issues, wrinkles, acne, red and irritating skin, and on dry, flaky lips. You can massage into the skin after bathing, while still damp, to keep your skin hydrated.
- You will even see great results on those ugly stretch marks.
Marula oil has a fruity, floral scent and is used as a base note in many perfumes, body lotions, and soaps. This oil is fast absorbing and lightweight oil.
Cindy Burrows, B.S., M.T., Herbalist and Nutritional Health Consultant. Helps individuals start health programs to improve their life, wellness and happiness. Cindy is a speaker, writer and entrepreneur of several businesses.