The fruit of the Prickly Pear cactus plant has seeds that have more than 150 times more vitamin E than even Argon oil. Opuntia Ficus Indica or nopal plant has over 100 species, many are famous for their anti-aging properties. You may even find some call it the barbary fig.
Normally, these plants are spiny and touching them will hurt. But many Indians and Mexicans rub off the spines and eat the prickly pear pads and flowered fruit as a good food, especially for diabetics and lipid (fat) disorders.
The oil from the prickly pear can be more expensive due to the time-consuming labor-intensive production of this oil. About 900,000 grams of prickly pear fruit equals one liter of oil. Much of this work is done by hand and cold pressed to preserve the highest nutrients.
These cacti grow in arid and semi-arid regions of the world. They have been used by the American Indians for many years to treat burns and used in traditional Mexican folk medicine for diabetes, inflammation, skin irritation and redness.
- The Prickly pear plant gives hair a high gloss, shine and increases its volume.
- It can also be used as a hair conditioner for dry, damaged hair, softening and controlling the frizzes.
- Prickly pear can promote hair growth, stopping or slowing down any hair loss.
- These seeds are high in antioxidants like carotenoids, betaine and flavonoids.
- They include many amino acids that help stimulate collagen production which in turn promotes healthy cell turnover. It keeps skin firm, prevents aging signs like wrinkles and lines.
- Prickly pear oil is high in essential fatty acids, Omega 6 and 9, linoleic and oleic acids, restoring skin by attacking the free radicals…degenerated bad cells. It is a great benefit for acne prone skin.
Dermatologist, Jennifer Herrmann M.D. says “Acne-prone skin is deficient in linoleic acid, so Prickly pear oil can be helpful for those with acne without being greasy.”
- This oil keeps the skin hydrated, since it grows in the driest conditions, it automatically knows how to retain the water needed to keep your skin moisturized. Prickly pear oil protects skin from the sun and environmental pollutants. It keeps your skin at a healthy pH level.
- Its vitamin K brightens under eye skin care and skin elasticity. The oil also could lighten your dark aging spots.
- As a hair treatment, massage into hair, leave in about 5 minutes, before washing your hair; for adding volume and thickness to your hair.
- You can apply it lightly after a wash on damaged hair for shine and luster.
- You can use it directly on your skin problem areas since it is rapidly absorbed and deeply penetrating, nourishing and softening of your skin layers.
- This oil is considered non-comedogenic, meaning you can use it daily, if necessary, without fear of clogging pores. It tightens skin and can reduce the appearance of acne.