Rose water is made by distilling rose petals with steam. This releases the oils and the essences of the rose making it literally, water infused from roses. It is called a hydrosol or floral water.
It has been used for thousands of years, since Egyptian times. Even the legendary Queen herself, Cleopatra, used Rose water during her reign as the Queen, to keep her skin supple and smooth.
Rose floral water smells amazing. It has many potential health benefits.
Rose water benefits:
- It can reduce skin redness and irritation.
- Helps prevent and decrease infections.
- Can help heal cuts, scars and burns.
- Soothes digestive issues.
- High in antioxidants. It has great anti-aging properties.
- The aroma of Rose water is calming and helpful for anxiety, sad emotions and enhancing moods.
- Soothes sore throats.
- Rose water tea is good for dehydration.
- It maintains your skins pH balance.
The best ways to use Rose water are:
- Create a rose water mist by putting it in a spray bottle; then spray the room, or yourself to calm and distress.
- It can be sprayed on the skin to treat sunburn.
- Apply it topically, as an astringent, to help remove excess dirt and oil, and unclogs pores.
- It lowers inflammation associated with acne. Mist it on affected areas.
- Soaking a cotton ball and holding it under the eyes will reduce the appearance of dark circles. It will lessen an eye infection if held over the eye.
- It will lighten hyperpigmentation of skin. Use it daily till you see the changes.
- The scent of rose water lightly misted near your pillow can help you sleep at night.
Some newer products have included 24 K gold ingredients; I have found that, “gold” is great for anti –aging. It reduces inflammation and brightens skin.
Rose water also has a great culinary usage in the Middle East and India. The rose flavor and fragrance lightens spicy or heavy taste of food.
It is also used in desserts like Turkish delights and baklava, and is added to drinks of lemonade, vinegars and brandies.
Cindy Burrows, B.S., M.T., Herbalist, is a Natural Health Consultant helping individuals start health programs to improve their life, wellness and happiness. Cindy is a speaker, writer and entrepreneur of several businesses.