Posted on December 28 2020
Oh, the food feast was so-so good…but now the pants are tighter, the tummy is bloated and your sluggish and fatigued.
Are we feeling a bit guilty about overindulging? It’s easy to do, even though we did not have the “whole family “crowd together, due to COVID,
Hey, let’s limit the bad feelings, it happens, but we need to enjoy our time with family or friends.
One drink leads to another and one cookie or pie leads to another!
We did enjoy ourselves, talking freely, reminiscing about the past and feeling happier than we have in months. This allowed us a break from the depressing and negative news in the world today.
Here’s a Simple Detox to Follow
Detoxing with these five simple steps to get you back on track, on to a regular healthy diet.
- Drink Water, clean, filtered water helps the liver and kidneys filter out toxins, and eliminates them in excess waste. You can prepare herbal detox teas to fill you up versus plain water, try lemon, ginger, chamomile, burdock or chaga mushroom.
- Eat foods that help the body release toxins. Any food higher in fiber, proteins and nutrient rich; including low sugar fruit, veggies, greens, tuna, salmon, beans, avocados and mushrooms. Check out Dr. Greger’s ‘Daily Dozen’ list of fruit and veggies that are recommended for your detox diet.
- Clean out your refrigerator and cabinets of tempting holiday junk. No refined carbohydrates will help you lose weight faster. Try a vegan diet for a week or two this gives your body a very clean start to letting the pounds fall off.
- Boost your body’s health with supplements if needed. New research in the weight loss arena is the superhero mineral, Potassium, said Joy Bauer MS, R.D.N., nutrition expert, of the Today Show. Potassium, because it flushes out the extra sodium from the body, which is in many foods. Potassium triggers your body to release the bloating and swelling. A healthy, fast way to lose a few pounds. A blend of amino acids can also slash your appetite and it helps our body function better.
- Any exercise can help, if you can only do yoga, walking, or stretching is fine; if aerobic, even better, like running, bicycling, swimming, or weight lifting. Movement helps your digestive system and promotes regular elimination.
You only have to do this for a few days to help detox your holiday splurge. Of course, if you want or need to lose more you could use these steps for several weeks or months to slim down and get in tip top shape!
Cindy Burrows, B.S., M.T., Herbalist and is a Nutrition and Wellness Consultant helping individuals with health programs to improve life and happiness. She is a writer, speaker and owner of several businesses.