Posted on January 19 2020
Cravings are one big reason why people have problems losing weight.
The types of food can vary greatly but can be an intense, even, uncontrollable desire for a specific type of food.
Food cravings are a dieter’s worst enemy. Studies show it seems to effect woman more than men, that could be because we are more stressed.
Unfortunately, these cravings can lead to binge eating or overconsuming calories which will affect your weight.
More than 50% of people experience cravings on a regular basis.
Ten ways to Control Food Cravings Which Effect your Weight
- Thirst can often be confused with hunger since both give us the energy our body is looking for.
- Eating more protein, especially higher Omega 3’s, which will help fill you up, energize your body, and keeps the body satisfied longer.
- Avoid Stress which can induce more food cravings. Stress raises the cortisol hormone and unbalances all other hormones, and therefore increases craving. Clary sage and geranium Essential oils help to decrease stress levels.
- Control your hunger pains since it amplifies triggers for cravings. Try adding a few drops of Peppermint essential oil to your water, mix it well, it can decrease your desire to eat.
- Increasing your green foods, those higher in chlorophyll like algae or spirulina, seem to decrease your sweet craving.
- If sleep-deprived, it lowers your serotonin levels and when they are low you desire or need the sugar to stay awake! Use some Essential oils to help you sleep like Lavender or Ylang Ylang.
- Look at alternative foods and keep them handy; such as for sweet tooth in afternoons have fruit and yogurt with cinnamon on top which can decrease sugar. If crunchy is what you desire to have some whole-grain cereal.
- Higher fiber food like chia seeds, legumes, fruit, and veggies can help fill you up so there will be less desire to eat.
- Meditate to help calm the body. It helps the body's health overall with stress and sleep.
- Some people find exercise helps, so when the cravings start do some form of exercise and they may disappear.
There is some thought that both prebiotic or probiotics can be helpful, these are the good bacteria your body needs and they can help decrease your cravings.
Summary of Food Cravings and Weight Loss
There are differences in cravings some are Addictive type which are things like sugar or sweets or munchies. These are usually related to an emotional situation, stress of some sort.
Other cravings are what they call Nutritive, a desire for something your body needs or is lacking; say like an orange for vitamin C.
Then, there is the Balanced craving your body has too much sugar and now you crave salt to bring back an even balance or homeostasis to the body.
Fighting off these cravings can be a constant battle. Try a few of our suggestions above, see what might work for you, some may be better than others.
Cindy Burrows, B.S., M.T., Herbalist and Nutritional Health Consultant. Helps individuals start health programs to improve their life, wellness and happiness. Cindy is a speaker, writer and entrepreneur of several businesses.