Posted on August 04 2017
Ylang Ylang or Cananga Adorata flowers have a history of essential oil use both in the West and East. French chemists discovered the oil made an effective treatment for many infections from malaria to intestinal.
It is found in the rain forest of Asian and South Pacific islands In Indonesia the flower petals are scattered over the bed of newlyweds. The chemists noted the oils had a calming effect on the heart during times of distress.
Ylang Ylang has an exquisite flowery, sweet aroma that delights the senses; the word means “flower of flowers”.
Benefits of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- Very effective for relieving feelings of depression, boost moods and energy levels. Use several drops with carrier oil and massage into back of the neck or temples.
- Promotes Skin health by smoothing out signs of aging, wrinkles, dryness and inflammation. Mix with coconut or jojoba and apply topically. It has a natural thickening effect on the hair.
- Helps the circulatory system, controlling blood pressure. Dilute and apply topically over the heart area.
- Balances hormones by reducing cramps, tension and pain during menstrual periods or when having PMS. Blend Ylang with lavender and a carrier oil. Massage by mixing on the lower abdomen or back of the neck.
- Lessens frustration and anger by releasing negative emotions. Use a diffuser to inhale and to help wash your frustrations away!
- Shown to act as a natural aphrodisiac helping to increase the libido of both women and men. It can help with those of impotence. Use a diffuser or apply topically to temples, wrist or back of the neck.
- Ylang is a nervine; it is great for nerve repair and strengthens the nervous system.
Safety concerns are only in cases of excessive use; with nausea, headaches or sensitivity symptoms.
Cindy Burrows, B.S., M.T., Herbalist, is a Natural Health Consultant helping individuals start health programs to improve their life, wellness and happiness. Cindy is a speaker, writer and entrepreneur of several businesses.