How do you take care of your teeth? Are you aware that many diseases can start from your oral health? How clean is your mouth, gums and teeth?
We all have plaque on our teeth, which is made up of hundreds of bacteria.
If we do not remove these bacteria daily, it causes the breakdown of gum tissue. It breaks down the bone, in the mouth, in your teeth and jaw. This happens when bacteria is allowed to grow for a long time called Periodontitis. Do you want to save and protect your teeth?
- Keep things clean. Practice good oral hygiene, brush and floss daily. Remove tarter and scale from teeth and roots by visiting the Dentist.
- Decrease sugar and carbohydrates because sugar interacts with bacteria and “stick” to your teeth, this is how tarter builds up.
- To protect and prevent periodontitis eat a balanced diet; include vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and fruits. Vitamins C, D, and omega-3 Fatty acids help to increase bone strength and tooth retention.
- Drink plenty of water, dehydration and dry mouth increases risk of more bacteria!
- Herbs to help keep the mouth and teeth clean are usually in the form of toothpaste and mouthwash. The use of antibacterial herbs like sage, neem, peppermint, propolis, myrrh or Echinacea in toothpaste and mouthwash are effective against bacterial growth. Great protection is easily done.
- It has been found that gums of patients with periodontal disease are deficient of CoQ10. If you have this problem take CoQ10 supplements; using Xylitol a natural sugar, also helps reduce tooth decay. Xylitol is now in chewing gums and is helpful when a toothbrush is not available.
- Recently, the newest method to keep your mouth clean is called “oil pulling”. This method is uses a blend of a few Essential Oils (EO) with some coconut oil or sesame oil.
Here are two “oil pulling” teeth cleaning recipes; use this liquid as a swishing or cleansing of teeth and mouth:
Mouth Freshener and Anti-Bacterial Cleanser
Premix: 10 drops of Essential Oil of Citrus (Orange or Lemon) with
10 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
Place this blend in one glass container (always use glass with EO)
Blend well by shaking vigorously.
Place 1-2 drops of this EO blend with one Tablespoon of coconut oil, and then swish this mixture around your mouth for a minimum of 5 minutes or more if you can.
You can also use fractionated coconut oil which stays in liquid form versus regular organic unrefined coconut oil used in baking or cooking.
Note: Do not swallow this blend when finished and do not spit it out into the sink; over time the oil will clog the drain. Use a jar or bag to spit into.
Healing EO for Mouth and Teeth Issues
Pre-mix: Clove, Peppermint and Myrrh, 10 drops of each EO into a bottle; shake vigorously.
Use 1-2 drops of this EO blend with a Tablespoon of coconut oil or sesame oil.
Swish EO blend in the mouth, as above, to help heal any sores, cuts or infections. This is a great start in the morning for bad breath, allergies or even mucous congestion.
These are great self-care strategies to help protect and prevent your teeth and gums from infection or disease!
Cindy Burrows, B.S., M.T., Herbalist and Nutritional Health Consultant. Helps individuals start health programs to improve their life, wellness and happiness. Cindy is a speaker, writer and entrepreneur of several businesses.