Cocoa butter is a type of fat beneficial for your skin, your hair and the immune system. It can help prevent aging, reduces irritation and redness of your skin; all signs of inflammation.
Cocoa butter is made from Theobroma oil, from the cocoa bean, the primary ingredient in chocolate that gives you that creamy, smooth taste.
Theobroma oil, called the ‘food of the gods’, ingredient is used throughout the world for many products, such as cosmetics, foods like chocolates, ointments and even for pharmaceutical drugs.
Benefits of Cocoa Butter
- Prevents aging due to its high levels of antioxidant compounds. It neutralizes the free radicals on the skin that shows telltale signs of aging. Reduces those wrinkles and aging dry looking skin.
- Helps to moisturize you hair, improves appearance and gives hair strength. It smells good too.
- Cocoa butter is good for reducing dandruff. It is produces healthier hair follicles which in turn reduces hair loss and prevents early onset of male pattern baldness.
- It helps reduce the appearance of scars and boost skin health overall.
- Reduces inflammation of the skin; especially soothing in cases of eczema and psoriasis or any irritating rashes.
- Boosts the immune system due to reducing inflammation and encourages hormonal balance.
- Great shaving aid for both men and women.
- Since chocolate makes people happy, so does cocoa butter, because it raises the endorphins and serotonin levels in the brain.
Cocoa butter remains solid at room temperatures but will melt at higher temps, like body temperature. This is why it is used in the pharmaceutical industry as a digestible base with certain medication.
Always look for organic, pure unrefined cocoa butter. It is a very stable saturated good fat and will not spoil or turn rancid when heated. This fat can remain in good condition for up to 5 years.
1/2 cup Shea butter
1/2 cup of Cocoa butter
1/2 cup Coconut butter
1/2 cup of oil like almond or jojoba
10-30 drops of essential oils, either lavender or peppermint
In a double boiler, combine all ingredients except essential oils.
Heat this mix on medium till butter melts. Remove from heat, cool slightly, add your essential oils.
Wait till it hardens or put it in refrigerator to cool.
Use a hand mixer, before solid, to whip until fluffy.
Store in a glass jar and use as a regular lotion or body butter.
Note: If your home is above 75 degrees it may melt oils; if so just temporarily refrigerate to harden.
Cocoa butter is also good for sunburned skin and calms the inflammation.
A great way to relax is to melt some cocoa butter with your favorite essential oils add it to a hot bath and soak away your problems.